China grass well known as agar agar is a type of gelatin extracted from Sea weed.It is available in the form of strands and powder.It is mainly used for making jellies,puddings and custard all over Asia
China grass pudding recipe
|1 cup - 250ml|
- China grass/Agar Agar - 5 gm ( I used bakers,half of 10gm packet)
- Milk - 2 cups
- Water - 1 cup ( add 3/4 cup water if you want to cut pudding into pieces)
- Sugar - 3/4 cup ( Use 1/2 cup for mild sweetness)
- Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp ( for white pudding)
- Rose milk essence - few drops ( for pink pudding)
- In a wide bowl, take 1 cup of water. If you want thick pudding, use 3/4 cup water. Cut the china grass into pieces and let it soak for 15 to 20 minutes. You can add it whole as shown in the video. China grass will become soft. In the mean time, boil milk for a minute. Do not add sugar now. Switch off the flame and keep the boiled milk aside.
- Take the soaked china grass along with water and boil in medium flame. Keep stirring. China grass will melt and mixes with water. When its 90% dissolved, reduce the flame to very low and keep stirring. It will dissolve completely. If you mix in high flame, china grass will thicken. So do it in low flame and make sure agar agar mixture is in liquid form.
- Now add this china grass water to the milk. No need to strain it. Mix well. Milk won't become thick now. It would be almost in same consistency. Now add sugar, mix well in very low flame till sugar dissolves in milk. You could find small crystals of china grass as you cook. Don't worry. Remove from the flame and let the milk become warm. Then divide the milk in two different shaped bowls. Add vanilla essence to one bowl and rose milk mix essence to the other. Mix well. Let the milk cool down. It will set once it starts to cool down. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or till its set.
- It would be well set. Remove and invert in a bowl or plate. Serve immediately.